“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” -- Margaret Mead

Monday, May 28, 2012

A Cooking Session with Mom - Colombian "Frijoles" and Palomilla Steak

If you've ever wondered how mom made that dish you absolutely love, I highly recommend doing a video of it! I am lucky enough to have a mom who lets me record her and share her cooking secrets with people she doesn't know. I'm still trying to convince her that we should record her empanadas (she said, "no way! I can't give away all my secrets!").

So, what does cooking have to do with leadership and higher education? They all require perseverance, trying things and taking risks, even if you don't have all the answers. Well, all I knew when I started recording was that I wanted to memorialize her cooking for my future children. I didn't know how to edit videos or convert media files, but I just gave it a shot. It was a fun experience which also 
allowed me to spend time with the woman who sacrificed her dreams to make sure I got an education. 


If nothing else, it's a great excuse for a home-cooked meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment